You may need a tax card in Hungary if you are

  • receiving a scholarship from the University or,
  • want to work in Hungary.

Application for your first Tax Card is free of charge, and it only takes a few minutes out of your time.


You are required to bring a few documents with you to start your application process:

  • Passport
  • Proof of accomodation (“Lakcímkártya” or the Contract)
  • Residence permit


  1. You either have to download and fill in (with a blue pen) the ‘T34’ form or you can do it at the NAV’s office in Pécs (you can check the opening hours/address by clicking here).
    You can find the ‘T34’ form in English here, and in Hungarian here (you must fill in the Hungarian one).
  2. Proceed to the NAV office in Pécs and fill/hand in your form.
  3. You will receive your tax number on the spot, which can be used for work/school immediately.
  4. You can now upload your tax number on Neptun or give it to your employer.
  5. You will receive your tax card by post in 2-3 weeks.

If you may ever need a replacement card, it costs 3000 HUF.