You have two options if you are coming to Pécs as an international student:
- staying in a dormitory,
- finding a flat.
The University of Pécs has 10 dormitories, most of these facilities were renovated in the past years, they are all located near the city centre/faculties. They cost about EUR 130/month, while living in a flat in Pécs might even cost you over EUR 500/month.
You can read more about dormitories or flat renting, by clicking on one of the buttons below!
The University of Pécs has 10 dormitories overall, whereof 3 are reserved for international students.
See a list of the international dormitories below (you can click on their names to open a documentation by PTE on each dormitory):
Boszorkány út 2., Pécs
Szántó Kovács János u. 1/c., Pécs
Jurisics Miklós u. 16., Pécs
THINGS TO BRING
Here is a list of the most important things that you have to bring with you on arrival to the dormitory:
- Student status verification (letter of acceptation), proof of dormitory acceptance (dormitory registration e-mail)
- HUF 40,000 + 1st month dormitory fee in cash (in HUF) or bank card to complete the fee deposition (you can only move in after it has been paid)
Other important things that you will need:
- Kitchenware, cutlery
- UTP cable (for internet access)
Living in a dormitory comes with its own rules and obligations.
- Having a guest for the night is alright, as long as you register them at the reception, and have your roommates’ consent. It costs HUF 1000/night.
- By law in Hungary, smoking is prohibited in public spaces (such as dormitories).
- Triggering a false fire alarm twice will cost you a fee (first its only a warning).
- If you want to resign from dormitory, you will have to sign the resigning contract a month in advance. If you sign it until the 15th of the current month, you can stay until the end of the next month. If you sign it after the 15th, you will have to pay for 2 more months.
- You will have to keep your rooms cleaned, there will be room inspections periodically, and it may cost you additional fees.
- All broken equipment (light bulbs, clogged sinks, broken furniture, ect.) must be reported at the reception.
RENTING A FLAT
Renting a flat instead of staying in a dormitory has many advantages. You don’t have to share with others or clean after others, you can have privacy and a peace of mind at all time.
If you choose to rent a flat alone, it might cost you anywhere between HUF 80,000 – 150,000 or more. There are other costs, like utilities, paying for internet/TV. You might also be required to pay 1 or 2 months of rent as a deposit (kaució in Hungarian).
You can either find a flat for yourself in various FB groups, property listing websites or you can leave the job to one of the many housing agencies of Pécs. See your options below. Remember, you can always ask your Hungarian ESN mentor/Buddy to help you with this.
REAL ESTATE AGENCIES
RENTING A FLAT
It might be easier to make a deal with a real estate agency. Most of these agencies provide English support.
You can find a list of the biggest ones here.
Mon-Fri: 09:00 – 17:00
Sat: 08:00 – 16:00
+36 30/215-5513, +36 72/536-227
Szigeti street 12, II. floor (next to the computer room), Pécs
Mon-Fri: 09:00 – 18:00
(72) 781 833
Hungária u. 43., Pécs
Great Home Ingatlan
(30) 737 4133
Hungária utca 27., Pécs
FB GROUPS - HOUSING WEBSITES
RENTING A FLAT
If you want to get a better priced property, you are better off finding a flat for rent yourself, outside of real estate agencies. Although be advised, not every seller speaks English, so you might have to ask your Hungarian ESN mentor/Buddy for help.
Below you can see a list of facebook groups and websites where you can find places for rent (use Google Translate for the websites).