If you are staying in Hungary, you will have to choose a health insurance plan for yourself.

You can either choose a private insurance plan, or the government issued ‘TAJ’ card.

Please keep in mind, that with the standard government insurance plan, you will have to wait in line for over 5 or more hours at some occasions and getting an appointment is even harder (sometimes it even takes 3-4+ months). By choosing the standard insurance plan, you are not guaranteed to be assigned to an English speaking practicioner either. You will also have to pay for all your medicine costs yourself. The private plan however gives you a coverage for any medicine costs up to 100,000.-HUF! To know more about the advantages of private insurance over governmental, click on the “Private Insurance” button below!

We advise you to choose the one option fitting your needs and time the most!

Learn more about your options by clicking on one of the buttons below!


After you have received your residence permit, you have to make a visit at the Central Registrar’s Office (KTI) to apply for your TAJ (health insurance) card. You can check out the opening hours and address at our ‘Important Places‘ guide.

Documents to bring

Make sure to bring the following documents with you when you go to the office:

  • Passport
  • Valid residence permit
  • Accommodation confirmation (or address card)
  • Letter of Award – your Stipendium Hungaricum verification (you can download this from your Neptun account, from information/documents).
  • Student status certificate in Hungarian language – from your faculty’s registrar’s office, issued not more than 30 days prior to your application!